At Asher's two year check up our pediatrician told us that she liked for children to be potty trained by the time they are two and a half. Well I am very much a rule follower if some one gives me a rule for something I will try my very best to follow it. So now that I have received instructions on potty time I feel the need to obey....this trait however did not seem to pass along to my sweet Asher.
I have purchased a very cute froggy potty, unfortunately cuteness does not always encourage use. Dr. Murphy said that if we have Asher sit on the potty every time we use the bathroom that eventually he will actually use the potty. Well we have been doing that for quite some time now and lets just say I just bought another jumbo size box of diapers. There are somethings Asher has learned about bathroom time, things like its really fun to flush "pee pee paper" down the toilet, that if you say you need to use the potty you get to take your pants and diaper off, and that its fun to wash your hands after you pretend to use the potty.
Asher now will not even sit on his cute froggy potty instead he stands on it and uses it as a tool to reach to higher places. Sometimes the potty is also used as a chair for his animals or a holding place for his bath toys....at least it was not a total wast of money!
So now I am on the look out for good tips and ideas for potty training. It should be an interesting journey...never thought I would spend so much of my time thinking and talking about bodily functions.
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh, that's exhausting. With Riley we tried to do it when she was two and worked for months. With Claire we waited until she was 3 and it took her 2 days. I think when they're ready, they're ready. If they don't catch on after a week of work, I just give it a month or two break beore we try too hard at it again. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI second Amanda. He'll do it when he wants and not before.
ReplyDeleteWow. Your pediatrician has lofty goals. Remind me to tell you a funny story about a friend's attempt at potty training her boy on his 2nd birthday. I agree with Abby. You'll know when he's ready and he'll do it when he wants to.
ReplyDelete